Established on 21 September 1958, the Military Museum of the Chinese People’s Revolution is the only and largest state-level military museum in China. Started in October 1958, the construction of the exhibition building was completed in July 1959. After a closed-door preview of exhibitions in October 1959, the museum was opened to the public in August 1960. In the past 50-plus years, the museum has received on average two million visitors every year. The number of visitors has multiplied after free admissions were given in March 2008. The museum still received 4.1 million visitors in 2011, although the permanent exhibitions in the exhibition building were removed one after another at that time.